Wednesday, October 24, 2018

How to Find Real Healthcare Help, and How to Spot a Scam - Part 1

I am writing this not only as a mental and physical health Professional but also as someone who has been "duped" by others in the field who profess to be in the business of helping me get healthier - yet, who have taken my money and done nothing for me.

As a Pro, I think it's important to uncover the scammers and alert the public so that people begin to separate the reality of people who are genuinely there to help you reach your change goals, but also to keep the integrity of our business and trust solid.

As a consumer, I think it's even more important to share personal stories of those who have knowingly, or through ignorance of a lack of education and experience, actually harmed others rather than healing them.

I am going to start this by telling you all that the backbone of my own physical and mental health business isn't the degrees I have, the certifications I have obtained, or the years experience I have with clients. It's not even in the numbers of clients I tell you I have, or the testimonials and photos I share with you on my website. The core of my business is the relationships I build with my clients - and that relationship doesn't start with my past business... it begins, and ends, with YOU.

While I am not discounting education and experience - I am an Evidence-based Clinician, which means that I use both my own and client experience, peer-reviewed science, and spend my own money and time to keep up with the latest science and techniques for change. What I am saying is that those are not the things that are the most important when you are working with REAL PEOPLE.

Real people need real Professionals. They need people who will USE all that education and experience, personal and anecdotal, to shape the treatment, direction, and planning for success. It means we listen, get to know YOU, and shape a plan that will fit your lifestyle, age, goals, support, and commitment.

My first advice? Listen to them to make sure that they are listening to you, MORE! If you feel as though they are doing more talking than you are (or none at all, like an online lead funnel for clients that pay before you talk to a live person... RUN AWAY!!!!)

Second, ask LOTS of questions, and don't be afraid to take time to think about what they respond with, and then ask MORE questions... (being mindful that there's no way you are going to pick their brain of ALL their knowledge, even in a few hours of off and on QnA before you commit to signing on with them - and if they make you feel like that, RUN AWAY!!!!).

Third, if their immediate response is to hook you up with the "latest and greatest" plan that isn't bespoked or tailored to YOU as an individual... you got it - RUN AWAY! It's not that there aren't good programs that can fit many different people but if you get a generic "this fits YOU, Pickachu" sort of one size fits all (even if it's marketed to a "type" or "group") and you don't feel as though they really know you well from an hour or more of QnA back and forth, they are probably out to get your easy money and likely aren't qualified to help you.

Remember, there are a lot of people out there in our age of tech and social media, who are looking to make a buck and have no desire to help you change. Some of them even look shinier than Nigerian Lawyers with an inheritance to get you connected with... if you will only give them access to your bank account.

Just because it looks scientific, or fancy, or like it has a million followers... doesn't mean it's legit! First step to change is connecting with people with education and experience, but it's also getting with Professionals who want YOU to succeed, because they take time to get to know YOU - and not your non-refundable cash deposit in THEIR bank account.

<3 ~ Jonni Khat

No comments:

Post a Comment